GTS and R&G polyester casting resins are medium reactive unsaturated polyester resins that are pre-accelerated with cobalt. Their most distinguishing features are their transparency and their UV resistance. These polyester resins are crystal clear when cured but can also be coloured (dyes for synthetic resins) quite nicely - which accounts for the fact that they are so often used in model making as well in the decoration sector (e.g. for moulding objects).
As is the case with all polyester resins, the mixing ratios between resin and hardener are dependent on the amount being employed. The most accurate way to add the extremely small amount of hardener required as a percentage of volume is to use a pipette or a disposable syringe. Please take note of the following data when working with these resins:
Mixing ratios for polyester casting resin GTS:
|10 - 200 g
||1.5 - 2.0 %
|200 - 1000 g
|1 - 10 kg
|10 und mehr kg
Please note that when more that 2.5% hardener is added to GTS casting resin it will become yellowish. Too much hardener will also lead to very high temperatures which, in turn, will lead to cracking in the material. Amounts of hardener larger than 5% will make the resin soft.
The working time and the de-moulding time are also determined by the amount of hardener used. The following data are based on room temperature.
Data for polyester casting resin GTS (100 g mixture):
||Working Time (minutes)
||De-moulding time (hours)
GTS can also be used as a laminating resin with addition of a reinforcement process that consists of applying the required fibres by hand.
We only offer the polyester casting resin R&G in large quantities because it is so much less expensive in bulk than the GTS resin. On top of that, the R&G casting resin can be used to make as large as a 5 litre block in a single pour without the risk of cracks developing in the material. If the heat that is thereby produced bothers you, layers of between 2 and 3 cm thickness can be poured one after the other as soon as the reaction heat has subsided for each segment. These casting resins should never be worked with in temperatures under 18 °C.
Danger, Styrol = 25 - 50 %, 2-(3,5-Di-tert-pentyl-2-hydroxyphenyl) benzotriazol = 0,1 - < 0,3 %, (VOC-Gehalt = 0,0 %), Phthalsäuredimethylester = 25 - 50 %, 2-Butanon-peroxid = 25 - 50 %, 4-Hydroxy-4-methyl-pentan-2-on = 10 - 25 %, Butanon = 1,0 - 6,0 %, Wasserstoffperoxid = 1,0 - 4,0 %, Tributylamin = 0,1 - 1,0 %, Flam. Liq. 3, Repr. 2, STOT RE 1, Skin Irrit. 2, Eye Irrit. 2, STOT SE 3, Aquatic Chronic 3, Org. Perox. CD, Skin Corr. 1B, Eye Dam. 1, Acute Tox. 4
- H226: Flammable liquid and vapour.
- H315: Causes skin irritation.
- H319: Causes serious eye irritation.
- H335: May cause respiratory irritation.
- H361: Suspected of damaging fertility or the unborn child .
- H372: Causes damage to organs through prolonged or repeated exposure .
- H412: Harmful to aquatic life with long lasting effects.
- H242: Heating may cause a fire.
- H302: Harmful if swallowed.
- H314: Causes severe skin burns and eye damage.
- P101: If medical advice is needed, have product container or label at hand.
- P102: Keep out of reach of children.
- P201: Obtain special instructions before use.
- P210: Keep away from heat, hot surfaces, sparks, open flames and other ignition sources. No smoking.
- P260: Do not breathe dust / fume / gas / mist / vapours / spray.
- P271: Use only outdoors or in a well-ventilated area.
- P280: Wear protective gloves / protective clothing / eye protection / face protection.
- P305+P351+P338: IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing.
- P308+P313: IF exposed or concerned: Get medical advice / attention.
- P405: Store locked up.
- P501: Dispose of contents / container to …
- P220: Keep away from clothing and other combustible materials.
- P234: Keep only in original packaging.
- P303+P361+P353: IF ON SKIN (or hair): Take off immediately all contaminated clothing. Rinse skin with water [or shower].
- P310: Immediately call a POISON CENTER / doctor / …
- P403+P235: Store in a well-ventilated place. Keep cool.