The Arno, which was designed in the 1950´s at L.&C. Arnold (Schorndorf), was manufactured at Stendal up until the 1960´s but then fell out of production during the DDR times. Arno has been produced once again in the Stendal Collection since 1998.
Arno consists of a continuous steel tube frame which describes the legs, runners and backrest attachment area together with the backrest and the seat, which are separate, each being made of shaped wood. The backrest provides very good comfort as a result of the springiness derived from this special geometry: even large people can sit in this compact chair for a long time. The Arno finds its best use in situations where, because of space limitations, a compact solution to seating is required: for example, at a dining table, in waiting areas, conference rooms as well as in cafeterias.
The furniture manufacturer L&C Stendal has a long tradition in Germany. In 1889 Louis Arnold, an iron dealer, and his son Carl founded the iron furniture factory L.&C. Arnold in Stendal which, beginning in 1926, specialized in the production of garden furniture and bed frames and developed into the leading steel tube manufacturer in Europe. The foldable garden chair No. 2 was an especially popular best seller, one which even today is considered a true classic among beer garden chairs. In 1927 L.&C. Arnold displayed at the Werkbund (Work Federation) Exhibition “The Domicile” in Stuttgart a “device” designed by Mart Stam and manufactured by Arnold: the first chair without hind legs (cantilever chair). A close relationship developed in those years between Stendal and the designers from the Bauhaus School with the result that many of those designs were produced by Stendal. After 1945 the factory in Stendal was called “VEB STIMA”; it manufactured chairs, tables and beds for the DDR market and for export. After Germany reunited, the company concentrated more and more on the production of Bauhaus furniture classics and expanded that program with the “Stendal Collection” in which re-editions from the 1950´s as well as new designs were manufactured with the same demands for quality and consistent design that had always been its hallmark.