Why do adjustable height desks make sense?
It has become common knowledge that regular movement at your workstation promotes good health and that sitting in one position does the opposite. It is exactly in the office where we spend so much time that we unfortunately have the tendency to become benumbed while sitting in front of our computer screens. Studies have shown that we spend at least 85 per cent of our everyday office life in a sitting position. This static body posture at the desk, in conjunction with increasing work loads and rising stress levels, is one of the reasons for the many health issues the symptoms of which are mainly comprised of back pain and muscular tension.
The quality and efficiency of our work is massively influenced by the satisfaction we feel and the state of our health. A comfortable and ergonomic workplace design has therefore become fundamental to modern, productive and creative work.
In Scandinavia, electric height adjustable workstations have led to a more ergonomic environment in workplaces and have thereby increased a user´s sense of well-being. In the meantime people there work almost exclusively on motorized adjustable height sit-stand desks.
The many obvious advantages as well as the interim advances in technology have spurred us to add a line of tables that are compelling in terms of both price and aesthetics and which includes work desks as well as conference tables in various sizes.
Table Frame T2
These very stable table frames are made of steel that is at least 2 millimetres thick. All the tables are provided with a very rugged powder coating and can be easily cleaned with a moist cloth. The Modulor Table System T2 is comprised of a set of side frames and various rail sets in black, white and grey.
The lifting columns and the control unit are maintenance-free. They are both manufactured by the Danish company LINAK®, which has been involved in the development and distribution of electric linear actuators since 1980. All the built-in components are exhaustively monitored during production in order to guarantee a long service life.
We also carry accessories such as a cable channel for organizing the many cable running under office desks and a computer holder for midi towers up to 500 mm high that attaches directly to the rails.
The convenient control unit screws onto the tabletop and provides the means to directly activate the height adjuster or can be programmed to automatically stop at 3 different positions.
Since the Modulor Table System T2 is only a table frame, you can either place your own tabletop on it or choose one from the wide selection of tabletops in our shop. As a general rule we recommend melamine resin coated tabletops that are 28 mm thick or linoleum coated tabletops that are 30 mm thick. Thinner tops can also be used with this frame but it should be noted that the fastening screws used on the tabletop require a minimum thickness of 18 mm.
Please also note that the sturdier 28 and 30 mm thick tabletops are able to extend past the table frame a considerable amount without the danger of bending or collapsing. In this way conference tables can be erected that are longer than 2,800 mm and which allow people to either stand or sit at the ends of the tables as well. The maximum depth of the tabletop is based on the length of the T-leg gliders and runs from 750 mm to 1000 mm; the minimum depth should at least reach beyond the T-leg gliders.
How to build your own adjustable height desk!
- Choose a set of side frames consisting of 2 lifting columns, 2 T-leg gliders, 2 support arms, the control unit and all the connecting elements in one of three colours: black, white or grey.
- Decide on the right tabletop size (for example 900 x 1800 mm)
- If you want less of the tabletop to protrude over the sides while still achieving maximum space under the table, choose rails that are longer than the width of the table by using a rail´s first given measurement as your guide. In our example this would mean choosing the rails for table widths 1800 - 2000
- If the tabletop should extend farther over the sides – i.e. cover up more of the table frame – you should choose shorter rails vis-à-vis the width of your tabletop and use a rail´s second given measurement as your guide. In our example this means choosing rails for table widths 1600 - 1800 mm
- If you want, you can now add a similarly coloured cable channel or computer holder to your order.
The German pension insurance (DRV) will subsidize a height adjustable table in cases of doctor certified illnesses. Further information can be found at the Deutsche Rentenversicherung website (available in English).